I just got back from what has come to be known as the best little Post Office satellite in Denver where I had some things to mail. I just love going to these folks instead of the regular Post Office. The lines, when there are any, are friendly and it makes for a great "small town" feel. Part of the eclectic ambiance is the non-post officey merchandizing that is going on at this place. Like today, I purchased a 3 pound jar of my favorite honey!! Yes! Honey at the Post Office. Also, there are white chocolate sweets from a small biz in Utah, a wonderful after the Holidays Sale table with all the left-over Christmas items. Really neat stuff.
But all my adjunct to the primary task shopping came to a stop when I came upon T-shirts imprinted with the message " Get Them Out - 11/02/2010" The shirts were right next to a display of decidedly extreme right wing conservatism books. And CD's for listening and DVD's for watching.....
At first I was appalled. I am a wholehearted independent who prefers to develop her own conclusions. (Keeps the ability to think in tact.) But how could the federal government allow such decidedly one-sided propaganda to be sold where I buy my stamps? Would it not seem that the Federal government is supporting these ideologies above others at work in this country? What does it mean to my "ever-formulating his own ideas" teen who sees this? Will he think that the government has gone "wack"?
My brain began to hummm.....
....I thought... maybe this would be ok if there was another Post Office satellite that sold left-wing extremist items, and then there could be one for the new Tea-Party too...yeah.....this could work!
Then I began to think about how amazing it is that this satellite Post Office selling one-sided politically charged merchandise could happen at all....
Pretty Neat to live in the US. :)

No comments:
Post a Comment